Medical Conditions - Acne and Glyconutrients
Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is an all-embracing term used to describe a number of illnesses of the motor neurone. These illnesses include Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Progressive Muscular Atrophy (PMA), Progressive Bulbar Palsy (PBP), and Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS). MND is also known as Maladie de Charcot, and in the US is often referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, after the famous baseball player who died of the disease. MND is the generic term used more in Europe and ALS is the generic term used more in the US.
MND is a disease of the motor neurons in the spinal cord and the lower brain which controls the voluntary muscles throughout the body. When these motor neurons die as a result of the MND the ability of the brain to control muscle movement is lost. When these muscles fail to receive the messages, they eventually lose strength, atrophy and die. Free radicals are the cause of the cell death but not the cause of the MND.
MND/ALS was first described in 1869, by Jean-Martin Charcot. The cause is unknown. Scientists have suggested a possible 'virus'. There is some evidence of environmental causes. There is very high incidence of MND on the island of Guam, in Irian Jaya, and on Kii peninsula of Japan. Heavy metals such as lead and mercury are suspected causes, as is aluminium. Some people may have a genetic makeup that makes them susceptible to an environmental cause of MND.
The groups of muscles affected and the order in which they are affected varies from person to person. It may affect the hands or throat or upper chest first.; MND does not affect the mind or the senses. A person with MND remains mentally sharp and in full possession of their senses of sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch.
Although MND/ALS can affect anyone, most people with the condition are in the 40 to 70 year age group. The condition is becoming increasingly common. The incidence is currently 2 per 100,000 of the population, while prevalence is 6 per 100,000 of the population. Only 10 percent of cases are familial with the remaining 90 percent sporadic.
For people with MND/ALS, glyconutrients support the body to heal, repair, regenerate and protect itself. Depression which often accompanies MND, can respond well when the body is receiving the essential glyconutrients it needs to function optimally. Glyconutrients can give a general feeling of wellbeing. Antioxidants are important to control the free radicals that seem to be in excess in people with MND/ALS. Glyconutrients and antioxidants help the body to deal with heavy metals and aluminium, and so decrease or eliminate negative effects.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this medical condition section is strictly educational and not intended as medical advice. For diagnosis and treatment of medical disorders, consult your health care professional.